Hearing loss can happen gradually, so you may not notice it at first.
There are some common signs of hearing loss to be aware of. You may have hearing loss if you:
- turn the TV up louder than your family wants it
- find it hard to follow conversation in pubs and restaurants
- struggle to hear on the phone
- often ask people to repeat what they say
- find your partner complain that you don’t listen to them
- feel that other people mumble.
What to do if you think you have hearing loss
The best way to find out if you have hearing loss is to have a hearing test.
If you also hear sounds like ringing or whistling inside your head or ears, this could be tinnitus. Tinnitus is often, but not always, linked to hearing loss.